« No Compromise, No Separation | Main | Yushchenko: How to be Victorious »

December 01, 2004

2004 Word of the Year

A Merriam-Webster spokesman said it was not possible to say how many times blog had been looked up on its Web sites but that from July onward, the word received tens of thousands of hits per month.

And the 2004 Top Ten Favorite Words are:

1. defenestration
2. serendipity
3. onomatopoeia
4. discoshaman, er, wait-- discombobulate
5. plethora
6. callipygian
7. juxtapose
8. persnickety
9. kerfuffle
10. flibbertigibbet

Can you define each of these, without looking them up?

(Via Instapundit)


Posted by TulipGirl  |  05:31 PM|  TrackBack (0)  |   Words

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:


Some of my favorite words! (plethora, juxtapose, persnickety) I'm not going to even attempt any definitions.

BTW, I haven't left a comment yet, but I've been staying caught up on what's going on. We're praying for y'all and the situation in Ukraine.

Posted by: Missy at December 1, 2004 11:44 PM

Thank you, Missy, for your prayers and concern!

I was surprised to see callipygian on the list (which I learned from Hubby and Dan earlier this year. . .)

Posted by: TulipGirl at December 2, 2004 12:04 AM

OK, I'll have a go... and I was surprised to see "callipygian" on the list because I've never heard of it!

Here's my attempt:

1. defenestration - what happens when people in glass houses throw stones ;-)
2. serendipity - happy accident, see Prince of Serendip.
3. onomatopoeia - when a word sounds like the sound that it describes? i.e. rustling, babbling,clap, stutter?
4. discoshaman, er, wait-- discombobulate - a post-modern clogger, er, I mean, to confuse a person.
5. plethora - many
6. callipygian - no idea what this one means
7. juxtapose - to place two objects/ideas side-by-side
8. persnickety - finicky, fussy, picky
9. kerfuffle - an altercation, a fight
10. flibbertigibbet - a person who flits from one activity or idea to another, not constant.

How did I do?

Posted by: MaltaGirl at December 2, 2004 09:17 PM

MaltaGirl, I think you're spot on. . .

callipygian: adj. having perfectly shaped buttocks

Btw, one of my fave features of google is the Define:word search. Just type the word you are wanting defined instead of "word" and a list of definitions from various sources comes up. Handy.

Posted by: TulipGirl at December 7, 2004 09:53 PM

Post a comment

Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)

In My Garden
Recently Written
Book Blogging
Friends and Fans
Good Stuff
Blog Goodies